Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mental Health Awareness Week

This is one week out of the year that I find to be one of the most important weeks for all people. Mental health illnesses affect way more people than we may even know.

Take a look at me, I go to a great college. I have incredible friends. I am blessed to have a mother who overcame breast cancer and is now pregnant with miracle baby number 2. I have good grades. I am in a sorority. I smile whenever I have the chance, but you may not know something about me. I struggle with severe depression and anxiety.

This is something that I was diagnosed with when I was 14 years old. I am not almost 20, and I cannot honestly say that I have conquered it. It is something that I am forced to deal with every day. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed because I feel like I have no reason to. I deal with hurt way more deeply than most people. It takes me longer to get over being upset or broken.

I do not tell most people about this because I don't want people to look differently at me. I have come to the realization though that people need to know that it can effect anyone. It is not something that only hurts people who "deserve" it or whatnot. It can be a part of someone who looks so happy on the outside.

I take pills for it, and they honestly help. But I would be lying if I said there were no days that depression won. There have been many days that depression has won the fight I fight every day.

If you or anyone you know is struggling, talk to someone. Don't let depression win.

No comments:

Post a Comment